Sunday, November 7, 2010

Going Back

As I said two posts earlier, I am trying to fill in the many gaps of my story of life here in Sarajevo by going backwards. I've found that going back and looking at my photos helps jog my memory. Here's one that stands out to me:

You may be able to tell from this photo that I am standing in a room that has been transformed into a forest of toilet paper due to the ingenuity of my colleagues and me. I don't recall the reason for the idiotic look of wonder on my face (please compare with the confused-but-cool look of the picture below), but I do recall what was going on in my life at this moment.

The moment was towards the end of my first year in Sarajevo. We had just returned from a time of relaxation and reflection in Split, Croatia (see picture below) and were in a bittersweet stage of goodbyes and anticipation. My colleagues and I chose to say goodbye to our team leader by decorating his room in the aforementioned manner after a round of strangely-hilarious prank calls back to friends in the US. Laughter is the best elixir.

This moment was also a time of me looking ahead to a second year of work in Sarajevo that promised new challenges. I was excited about being asked to lead the team in my second year, looking forward to being with friends and family back in Atlanta for a couple of months, and confident in God's provision.

Split, Croatia

Split has become a city of beginnings and endings for me. I began my time working overseas in Split in 2009 and ended my year there this past Summer in 2010. Runs in the early-morning heat and walks along the "Riva" in the evening were my favorite times.

1 comment:

  1. Haha, oh, what good times! I'm glad you didn't post the picture of the sign we put on the door going into Andrew's room.. Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete