Sunday, November 7, 2010

Picking Up Where I Left Off...

Here, I will try to fill in the 8-month silence that represents my inability to stay committed to blogging and relative preoccupation with the chaotic life I lead abroad.

Let's start with now and go back.

When I wrote at the beginning of my time in Sarajevo, I described my neighborhood, Grbavica-- a nice suburb of quiet streets and parks along the Miljacka River. A lot has changed since then. I now call the neighborhood of Bjelave my home. I now live near the Italian, Slovenian, Austrian, and French embassies, above Veliki Park (Big Park), and about 15 minutes from everywhere I need to be. There's one catch, it's up a very steep hill. I suppose God wanted me to have exercise built-in to the end of every day.

Here are some pictures:

The Street Bjelave. (When it's a clear day you can see the snow-covered mountains in the distance.)
Our pink/beige house that I share with my roommate who shares my name. Yes, that's a garage there on the right and a porch above it. (Next items to purchase: Scooter and Grill)
Nathan II enjoying our newly-acquired internet access on the infamous "Green Couch."
My bedroom in an unusual state of order. (The jury's still out on whether or not that's the correct way to hang the flag.)

So, this new home is an answer to prayer and has been a huge blessing. Immediately when I arrived back in the US for my Summer break and after moving out of Apt. #1 that I spent all last year in into Apt. #2 nearby, I found out that I had been kicked out of Apt. #2 by my landlord. My colleagues who were still in Sarajevo quickly found an Apt. #3 that to this day I have never seen, because four days before I returned to Sarajevo from the US, I found out that I (and all my stuff and the stuff that has been accumulated by my colleagues over the 10 years of my organization's work in this city, i.e. an enormous amount) had been kicked out again. So now, after staying in a local church for a few nights and meeting an extremely helpful local realtor, I live in Apt. #4 and hope to remain here till I move back to the US next Summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment